My whole family loves the smell of fresh banana bread. When you buy it from a shop, it often contains eggs and nuts. My son can’t eat such bread because of his allergies. For quite a long time I’d been trying to find an ideal proportion of ingredients for yummy home-made vegan banana bread. I think I succeeded!
This is a perfect recipe for both vegans and allergy sufferers. No eggs, no nuts, no sugar. People who don’t eat eggs for some reason know that they can be replaced in many different ways. I personally like chickpea flour and potato flour best. At home we often eat this bread for dinner so I don’t add sugar to make it healthier. Then we can eat it without feeling remorse 🙂 I strongly encourage you to cut the sugar in your diet. At the beginning it might be difficult, but give yourself a chance and soon you won’t need it anymore. Your food will have less calories and you will be definitely much healthier.
But when my family and I have an itch for a sweeter option, I always use dates.
From time to time I add some karob or raw cocoa powder. Of course, it must be without traces of nuts or sugar. I use about half a glass of it to make my bread dark enough. Then my bread is similar to chocolate cake.
I don’t have to tell you that this vegan banana bread can be made in the blink of an eye 🙂
What ingredients do I need?
- 2 very ripe bananas
- 1.5 cup of flour (I always use spelt flour but wheat flour is fine, too)
- 1/3 cup of oil (I use olive oil)
- 0.5 cup of milk (vegetable or cow)
- a large spoonful of potato flour or chickpea flour
- 1.5 teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar
- pinch of salt
- about 10 dates or 1/3 cup of brown sugar (optional)
- a pinch of vanilla
How to make vegan banana bread?
- Preheat the oven to 180 ° C. Mix the bananas with milk (and dates – optional).
- Add all the other ingredients except vinegar and mix them. The dough should have a very thick pudding consistency. When it’s too liquid, add a bit of potato flour and when it’s too thick, add some milk.
- When the oven is ready, add apple vinegar and mix everything.
- Pour the dough into a loaf pan and put it in the oven immediately. The haste is desirable while catching flies, but also here – while baking this vegan banana bread. Soda and vinegar react with each other and they make cake grow. That’s why it’s important to put it in the oven at once.
- Bake bread for about 40 – 50 minutes. Use the wooden stick to check if it’s ready. It’s delicious even the next day! Especially with frozen jam!