Do you crave for something both sweet and healthy for breakfast from time to time? Sometimes there are no fresh and nice fruit in shops. Or maybe you have them at home but there is no time to prepare them? You don’t want to eat unhealthy sugar, food preservatives and food additives, right? I have a perfect solution for you: frozen jam.
Why should I make my own jam?
The answer is simple: you are in charge of what you eat. If you don’t trust the ingredients of jams from store shelf, just make your own jam at home. It’s incredibly fast and easy to prepare. All you need is an hour of your time and still, during that time you can easily take care of some other things.
When my son started to eat, it suddenly turned out that he has a food allergy. From that very moment, I’ve been trying to prepare most of his food at home. I somehow started to behave like my granny who always says “if you make something at home on your own – you are sure of the ingredients”.
I make this jam because of two reasons:
First of all, I eliminate unnecessary additives so I know for sure that my son is healthier. Secondly, I’m certain that there is no trace of allergens in it, in my case nuts.
Like almost every mum – I have time for nothing so I try to cook fast. That’s how I came up with the idea of frozen jam.
- It’s fast and easy to make
- No need to sterilize jars
- No need to pasteurize
For me that’s enough. I made it last year and it was fantastic!
What ingredients do I need?
- Three mangoes, (now I was able to buy some beautiful mangoes) but you can use different kinds of fruit like strawberries, raspberries or plums. In summer, I also made jam of 600 gram blueberries and:
- One ripe banana
- Around 20 grapes (white or red)
- Optionally agar (I don’t add it and it’s ok)
Such jam isn’t very sweet. To make it sweeter, you can add more bananas, grapes or use your favorite sweetener.
How to make jam?
- Wash and select fruit, get rid of grape stones
- Blend everything
- Cook it in a pot for about 40 to 50 minutes. Stir frequently, because it helps to evaporate water (this is the time when you can do other stuffs ;-))
- Sluice jars and lids with boiling water
- Put the jam inside
- Cool off the jars, cover them and put them in a freezer
How to eat jam 🙂 ?
With appetite and without remorse! Taste great with no sugar, vegan banana bread. Such jam should be good till spring. Because it has no food preservatives or sugar, it requires a slightly different managing:
- use smaller jars so it isn’t kept long in the fridge
- always use a clean spoon
…Keep It Simple