The pumpkin season is still here! We cook soups and make pancakes. Today I have a recipe for a vegan pumpkin pasta sauce to share with you. Are you curious? Do you fancy another idea for a vegan meal? So here you go!
I truly love summer but every year I wait for autumn to begin and beautiful orange pumpkins to appear. They look adorable and have so many vibrant colours. Moreover, a pumpkin is such a great vegetable in the kitchen. There is practically endless amount of recipes and dishes a pumpkin can be used for. Sometimes it is very hard to decide which one to buy. Hokkaido, sugar pumpkin or maybe the butternut squash? I love them all but most of the time I buy the last one. Butternut squash is perfect for almost every dish.
What ingredients do I need for a vegan pumpkin pasta sauce?
- about 350 grams of peeled pumpkin
- 1 carrot
- 1 parsley root
- 30 grams of red lentils
- 2 onions
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1 or 2 cm of fresh ginger
- olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of cumin
- 2 grains of allspice
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper
- if like spicy dishes you can use some chilli
How to choose a pumpkin for the sauce?
My butternut squash was rather small. Before I peeled it, it weighted about 550 grams. There is no problem if you buy a bigger one. You can always freeze the leftovers, for example in a jar. It is much healthier to cook from fresh ingredients instead of taking canned pumpkin pulp.
The butternut squash is quite easy to peel but Hokkaido can be a challenge. If you lack patience or you simply don’t like doing it, just wash it, put some oil on it and bake it in the oven for 20 min in 180C. These 20 minutes of baking will allow you to get rid of the skin very easily but the flesh will still remain uncooked. At the same time, you can start to prepare the rest of the veggies. After 20 minutes take your pumpkin out of the oven, cut it in half, get rid of the seeds and cut it in big junks.
How to make the vegan pumpkin sauce?
- soak red lentils
- wash and peel the vegetables
- put some olive oil into a pot and add onions, pressed garlic cloves, sliced ginger and optionally chilli and fry for 2-3 minutes
- add cumin and lentils without water
- after 2-3 minutes add the carrots and parsley root
- add water but only to cover your vegetables
- season with salt, pepper, allspice and bay leaves
- after a few minutes add your pumpkin and maybe a little bit of water to cover all the ingredients
- cook for 15-20 minutes until the vegetables are tender
- during that time cook your favourite pasta
- then take the bay leaves and allspice out of the pot
- pour your vegetable broth in a jar
- blend your cooked veggies slowly adding the broth until you get really creamy texture
Now all you need to do is to pour your sauce on the pasta and enjoy your great dish. It tastes the best with your favourite people 🙂
Keep it Simple….