Tarts are quite fast and very eye-catching dishes, especially this vegan spiral vegetable tart. Of course, tarts are also very delicious. My spiral tart was a big hit on Instagram the other day so today I want to share my recipe.
Tarts are very graceful and healthy dishes. You have one basic recipe for a dough but you can always modify the ingredients. By introducing small changes, you can experiment with taste and look. For this vegan spiral tart, you can use vegetables like carrots, parsley roots, zucchini and colorful beet roots, eggplants or parsnips. Basically, all veggies which you can slice to create long strips will do the trick.
Are you curious how to make this vegan spiral vegetable tart? Let’s begin.
What ingredients do I need to prepare vegan spiral vegetable tart?
For the dough:
- 400 grams of flour (I use spelt flour)
- 50 grams of potato flour (you can also use chickpea flour)
- 120 grams of olive oil
- 50 – 80 grams of cold water
- garlic powder (optional)
For the pulp:
- 180 grams of chickpeas, best from a jar. Remember that tin cans can have a plastic lining from the inside which contain harmful BPA
- 100 grams of tomato sauce or chopped tomatoes (feel free to use those from a jar)
- 30 grams of potato flour
- garlic (powder or 1-2 cloves)
- 1 zucchini
- 3 carrots (one of mine was purple)
- 1 parsley root
- 1 eggplant
How I can make the vegan spiral vegetable tart?
- mix the flours with salt and (optional) garlic
- add olive oil
- knead the dough and slowly add water
- when the dough is ready just put it in the fridge for about 20-30 minutes
- chop the garlic
- blend all ingredients together. It should be thick like cream cheese, if it’s not try to add some potato flour
- peel the carrots and parsley root
- don’t peel the zucchini unless it’s necessary, then your tart will get a nice color
- slice the vegetables to create long thin strips. Use a vegetable peeler or a knife
- cook them for about 5 minutes in boiling water
- now I’m pretty sure the 20 – 30 min is over so take the dough out of the fridge
How to bake vegan spiral vegetable tart?
- preheat the oven to 180C.
- roll the dough
- put it in a tart tin (26 cm) brushed with oil
- make some holes in the dough with a fork
- bake it for 10 minutes
- after 10 minutes take the tart out of the oven and spread the pulp on it
- start in the middle with a little piece of vegetable. Then roll one strip into a tight circle and place it in the middle of the tart. Take the next strip and roll it around the first one. Do the same thing with all strips. Play with colors
- when your tart is ready put on it some olive oil (optional with some garlic). Use a pastry brush to do it. Then add some salt and paper on a tart and bake it for 20 minutes in 180C. Remember that it’s much healthier to bake the vegan spiral vegetable tart for a shorter period of time.
Keep It Simple…